Sunday 13 October 2013

Singing first love, compulsion too for Bhadaur MLA Mohammad Sadiq

Bathinda, October 13, 2013( Neel Kamal)-For singer-turned-politician Mohammad Sadiq, Congress MLA from Bhadaur assembly segment in Punjab, singing is his first love and a compulsion too. Even after spending 20 months in public life as a legislator, Sadiq is used by the party to regale audience during rallies and public gatherings. During the foundation stone-laying ceremony of the cancer institute at Ghabdan village near Sangrur by Union health and family minister Ghulam Nabi Azad in presence of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and senior leaders of the party from Punjab, Sadiq entertain a mammoth gathering of people waiting in hot and humid weather for dignitaries to arrive.

The 72-year-old folk singer, known for his earthy lyrics, says he sings not just to earn money for himself, but 16 members of his troupe. "Singing is my life and first love. I doubt anybody can forget the first love. I represent more than a lakh people in the state assembly, but as far as living is concerned I still earn it through stage shows and even perform at weddings. I have 16 people as part of my group so I have to think about their livelihood as well," said Sadiq.
Though he has picked a lesson or two in politics ever since winning the Bhadaur (reserved) constituency defeating SAD's Darbara Singh Guru, former principal secretary to chief minister Parkash Singh Badal, in the assembly elections in January 2012, Sadiq is an old hand in regaling the public. "Seeing a public representative singing on the stage, many a time people do make nasty comments, but I am not bothered. I just concentrate on my job," he remarked.
His election has been challenged in the court by Guru claiming that Sadiq is a Muslim so he could not contest from a seat reserved for scheduled caste candidates. Sadiq has contended that he did not practice the religion and one of his daughters was married according to Sikh rituals.
Finding it difficult to adjust to the demands of being a lawmaker, Sadiq is unhappy about not being treated seriously. "Politics is altogether a different ball game and I am failing to adjust. The insult I had to face at the hands of Punjab CM and his cabinet colleagues both inside the assembly and out of it makes me jittery. I remember an assembly session of 2012, when CM and the assembly speaker had asked me to sing. When I sang, all made fun of me and commented about breaking the sanctity of the sacred house," he said with a heavy mind.
While other famous singers unsuccessfully tried their luck in the political arena, Mohammad Sadiq managed to get elected. Late folk singer Kuldeep Manak had contested from Bathinda seat during the 1996 Lok Sabha elections and had to forfeit his security deposit. Even Hans Raj Hans lost in the 2009 general elections while representing SAD from Jalandhar constituency.


No comments:

Post a Comment